threes up british slang

N)29th General Support Group Quarterly Reports Selected Extracts 1966 1967: Quarterly Report for time period ending 31 October 1966, as submitted to USASUPCOM, Saigon, 1st Logistics Command, USARPAC. Finding the Class I area and what I assumed to be 228th guys was a real pain. We asked the guy where the mess-hall was and what we were supposed to do. During duty hours (generally from 0600 1800 hours or longer) these personnel were engaged in setting up (with the help of 175th Engineers of 196th Light Infantry Brigade) a Class I supply point, and recieving air lift and convoy product arriving daily in support of Operation Attleboro. At a minimum, our clothing smelled decent. As one entered the main gate of the compound, immediately to the front right were the quarters of the 624th Quartermaster Company (DS). All other HQ Officers and personnel of HQ Company 266th as well as other officers from Company B, 266th were flown from Vung Tau to Saigon. The 228th Black Skulls Battalion fought along side the 88th Star Corps, lead by Marshal Commander Hail (from the 13th Moddell Sector) and a few other 10th units. (see Photo section). Everything went fine until September of 1966, when I received orders from 266th HQ that our Platoon was going to be transferred TDY in Cu Chi to TDY with a new outfit being formed in Long Binh called the 61st Maintenance. A similar situation existed for 45th Medical MUST, although my understanding is the 175th Combat Engineers of 196th LIB provided their roadway in mid to late November 1966, the 45th having all personnel in place by 9 November 1966 when a contingent of nine assigned nurses arrived} . of the 25th ID Medical facility on a daily basis. At least, thats what I thought was going on anytime we passed one of those lambretta/vespa motor scooter buses loaded with people, produce or livestock. A POL Yard per Army Field Manuel 29-3 {Courtesy of 1st Lt. Paul B. walker in 2010}, Department of the Army dated May 1965 states the following regarding the setup and design of a POL entity: The effective use of the transportation available for the distribution of the product is the critical area in petroleum supply. (3) As late as October 1966, RAR and 6th Trans BN material refers to Route 15 (or portions of it) as being previously uncleared or unsecured. We handle all classes of supplies. The 58th was a battalion of self-propelled 105 howitzers attached primarily to the 5th Field Artillery Group (along with the 62nd and 65th). SP4 Lenzi then wrapped the rope about his waist where he too was hauled upward towards the hovering chopper for a return trip to the base GR unit. Joseph Eady thought differently, jumped from his seat and swatted it away. Thanks to the ingenuity of CPL Kenneth Grayham he designed and we built an operating water holding tank above ground and atop a wooden tower, to allow for a gravity feed of somewhat pressurized water which allowed for GR operations to proceed with an eye toward the best sanitation possible under difficult circumstances. By late March 1967 most of these 500 attached personnel were returned to their assigned units. 228th Supply and Service Company (Direct Support)activatedfrom remnants and existing personnel of Company B whose authorized unit strength of 235 on 20 July 1966 stood at 135 including elements of some 75 personnel TDY in Cu Chi (Laundry and Bath Platoon Bakery Section), and Bien Hoa Airbase (General Supply Platoon). As such, laundry operations outside of Cu Chi were contracted out to the local Vietnamese population. The 28th Field Artillery Regiment is a field artillery regiment of the United States Army, first constituted in 1918 in the National Army (USA) . This was done in generally good cooperation between SC and the OICs and NCOICs in charge of the yards. Arriving at Saigon, we found a 5 ton truck that was going to Long Binh and hopped aboard. A small factoid generally not known by personnel (Officers or Enlisted), but known by Commanding Officer, Company Clerk, Assistant Clerk and 1st Shirt and superior command structure was a monthly report accomplished by the Company Clerk and signed by the Commanding Officer. But the latter part of January was when we started hearing rumors and stories about offensive battle measures taking place in various locations throughout Vietnam. {The preceding is not meant to disparage MAJ. Ward. Was anything similar ever done before or after? {This mission relates directly to eventual cantonment area occupied by 506th S&S Co (DS) in Xuan Loc see 506th S&S Co (DS) History 1966 1967}, 9 November 1966 A meeting was held at 588th to dscuss the proposed Tay Ninh quarry operations. Note:As of August 2010 personnel of the 175th Combat Company Engineers, aka: 175th Engineers {a part of the 196th state, that it appears they were attached to the 25th ID, but did not know about the matter until some 44 years after. In summary, during the period 1966-67, the 228th created from scratch and operated a Stock Control unit which reliably anticipated and met the needs of all supported units located at Tay Ninh during a period of substantial troop and unit buildup, and with the primary supported combat unit (the 196th) conducting many major operations during the period. It took six of us to finally grab and somewhat subdue him. (The SOP for this consumed almost 4 typewritten pages.) During Junction City I was ordered back to Tay Ninh where I participated in various capacities of OIC and/or other 228th functions necessary to accomplishing the missions at hand. However, he was the ranking EM and that was pretty much that. B.A. A review of MR of 228th 14 Nov 66 makes no mention of this second attack either. (1) A list by quantity of stock to be handled. 10 January 1967per written orders dated 9 January from 266th; Capt. The scenario accounts for the approximate time recalled (1 and 1/2 to 2 and 1/2 hours). Either way, it seemed like the Army way of doing things. Stuff that was needed to be put away already was. Seeing this action really reinforced the fact, that I was in Vietnam and we were not the to play around. By the time everyone rotating was loaded on the trucks and were driven out to Bien Hoa AFB it was about 0400 (4 AM) where we were told to just hang loose for a plane scheduled to pick us up at 0530 hours. Ted and I found the 22nd supply room, drew sheets and pillows, found some empty beds and started making up the beds. From there the math for what was to be issued would be calculated, with the calculation per organization given to the guys in the yard for pulling and distribution. Therefore, all laundry services beyond what we were performing, were contracted out by the various units of the 25th ID, while shower facilities were also left to individual units within Cu Chi Base Camp. A group of us liking the motto had a sign painted up which we hung over the Officers Latrine (see photo gallery 1966-1967). Otherwise, the reader is invited to view other areas of this Website {see Miscellaneous Data Photo Gallery and other sections}, where further information and points of interest can be located. However, there wasa second major blow up and attack on a 3rd Ordnance munitions pad confirmed by Ben Kuster (June 2010) who was assigned as Intelligence Officer, 29th Group at the time George arrived. For me it was a profound moment in time, when I first beheld the remains of SFC Jones. Completion date to be as soon as possible, but not later than 1 January 1967. After the conclusion of Operation Junction City and with April and May of 1967 approaching, there was a brief two to three months of respite in Tay Ninh Base Camp. 2 Citizens of Mexico. The problem being, that they were processing 20 to 30 remains from the field per day, and each reefer unit could only hold a maximum of five remains each. Major operations supported included Attleboro (OCT66 NOV66)*, Cedar Falls (JAN67), Gadsden (FEB67), and Junction City (FEB67 MAY67). Combat Engineers supported infantry troop movements. As of 1 June 1967 (see 1967-1968 History; Section G) a new Commanding Officer; Captain Gordon I. Ozawa had been assigned from HHC 567th Supply and Service Battalion (DS) as CO, while the 266th S&S BN (DS) had lost operational control as the superior command of the 228th. Another thing that happened in the July to August 1967 time frame was some sort of orders issued by the Base Command, that Tay Ninh needed reaction teams to dispel any hostile attacks which might be launched by the Viet Cong (VC) or North Vietnamese Army (NVA). When we speak of general supplies, we speak of everything from stoves to toothpicks, including pencils and paper, mess trays, field equipment, dog food, and thousands of other items. Addendum:Per 19 June 1967 issue under Awards and Decorations by 25th ID in Tropic Lightning News: Bronze Star; Major Jerry E. Ward HHC 266th S&S BN. 1 June 1967, Rotation process for initial 110 personnel completed excepting 1 individual whose orders had not arrived. Some 3 weeks later, Company B no longer existed, as it had been inactivated, the bulk of remaining personnel being transferred into the newly activated 228th Supply and Service Company (Direct Support). Remembering that the 228th had only recently arrived, were working night and day to set up various supply points already, I found we were critically low on JP4 and AVGAS, the two items that helicopters and planes would need in abundance. This speculation can be somewhat bolstered by the fact, that at one point in time Orders were generated by the 266th to the 228th re-assigning all Laundry and Bath personnel TDY in Cu Chi, as re-assigned to 61st Maintenance being formed in Long Binh in late 1966. I swear that no sooner had we actually fallen asleep, when some guy shows up and tells Ted and I to get into our Class A uniforms, as we were both scheduled to catch a flight at 2000 hours (8 PM). He told me not to worry, that a convoy was coming in that afternoon. Our NCOIC was SSG E6 Robert Seviour (later promoted to SFC E7) and deservedly so. After two days of just hanging around and about, we were assigned to Guard Duty at the ammo dump {3rd Ordnance}. Mid November 1966 the 228th continues in process of setting up, operating all Classes of Supply operations in continued support of Operation Attleboro (largest counteroffensive of Vietnam War to date), was operating Graves Registration (Processing of remains from the field and in base camp Mortuary Affairs), Operating a Laundry and Bath service in Cu Chi, Tay Ninh and Quan Loi, operating Stock Control (engineering parts, all manner of standard and field equipment, such that records matched actual material on hand), Class II and IV (parts clothing, engineering supply, other), Class I (refrigerated, semi perishable, perishable, canned, and non canned food products such as condiments), Class III, aka: POL (petroleum, lubricants and oil) yard including aviation fuel, diesel, gasoline, Class V (munitions storage and transport.not a usual function of a Supply and Service unit) along with all other supply and logistics functions such as water and chemical treatment for potable water, use of heavy equipment for grading roadways, supply areas and other.the 50 to 60% authorized unit personnel wearing many hats above and beyond their respective PMOS (primary military occupational specialties). It consisted of four (4) shed type buildings (40 x 100). Not that it was initially essential, as nearly all the allocated vehicles belonging to the Company had been parceled out by the 266th to other units in Long Binh. Now, think about it. If any content is not allowed to be published here, please contact the webmaster and the content will be removed. I put my duffle bag inside and then returned to see if I could be of any help. In the midst of the above tasks, we serviced and supported (depending on the operation) between 11,000 25,000 combat troops with all manner of supply and services. Up to 50 tons per day were routinely handled, with support of major operations involving daily tonnage volumes up to 150 tons for sustained periods. We went through customs, did put on our field jackets, and were not freezing like the others who had to dig them out from the bottom of their duffle bags. By mid December 1967 I was also some 80 days short. In effect, the Maintenance Platoon Section and the Equipment Section were merged into the General Supply Platoon. Besides all the inordinate paperwork generated at the Battalion level, Company level, 25th S&T BN level, and other locations to cover these new orders, some 5 days later the orders are revoked by the 266th. Every item that was issued was based on a 28 day menu cycle. That way there was a constant turnover of product, whereby an item would work its way from the rear (freshest) toward the front (oldest) for final issue. It seemed to me, that the 228th was somewhat predatorymeaning that if personnel came to the Company TDY, and the 228th could use them, then somehow arrangements were made and they got transferred into the 228th. When we got to the tent it was mostly occupied by a bunch of guys who were TDY from elsewhere, and they were short timers who had been pulling permanent Guard Duty on the 228th assigned area of the perimeter{munitions pads of Class V}. (5) Specifically in 1966, Route 15 was opened 22JUL (A Battery 2/35 Artillery, Long Binh Nui Dat), 11-16OCT (3d BDE 4th ID, Vung Tau Bearcat), 4-14 DEC66 (199th LI BDE), and 14-23 DEC66, and 27 DEC66-5JAN67 (9th ID). Coincident to the time, the Monsoon rains were in evidence, so much so, that within a half hour of rain there was water 8 deep in the company field tent area. Within the week, 19 Company B personnel of the Bakery Section (20 personnel assigned) excepting one, where re-assigned TDY (Temporary Duty) to the 25th Infantry Division in Cu Chi. {This is a reference to new Class I Yard moved from being adjacent to airstrip and its new location southwesterly in what was termed the South Gate area. A distant relative, GM3 Ira P Fields, was killed by the initial torpedo explosions alongside nearly all of her crew. Technically we also had the charge of providing laundry services, and hot shower facilities designed to support up to 16,000 troops. 37th Indian Field Ambulance . They pulled KP, rode shotgun on convoys, transported equipment, set up shower points in numerous locations, and were simply put, magnificent individuals. Requisition of vehicles and other necessary equipment to operate (additional reefer units for GR being one since November of 1966) were not fulfilled by higher authority despite constant effort to do so by the 228th. In essence the 228th found itself in the position of not only setting up its own company area, but heavily involved in setting up and developing supply point facilities related to any and all supply and logistics necessary to the base camp known as Tay Ninh West. Tobias, Brigadier General, Commanding, 1st PHILCAGV 1966 forward in Tay Ninh by 1977 was head of The National Philippines Housing Authority. It does arrive and boarding began. The one thing that struck me immediately was the smell of the Country. We found out that the reason this was done each evening, was to spoil any movements Charlie might have made during the day. Combined and at full strength, the platoon would be composed of 52 individuals led by 2 OIC, 2 NCOIC, and 46 enlisted of E5 to E1. For example: 2.5 gallons of milk per 100 individuals. As such, this understrength platoon was handling ration product exceeding that of a normal Battalion. I missed breakfast, wanted to take a shower, but couldnt move. Instead,we had the dubious honor of cleaning bloody sheets, bedding, scrubs, etc! A 105mm battalion contained just over 500 men. So, I called back down to Tay Ninh and told them I was getting a lot of flack for not having turkeys in storage for Christmas as promised. I guess the Military thought if any of us got to the terminal there might be a good number of possible desertions. With him were a bevy of beauties including Chris Noel whom I believe was a Playboy Playmate. The dry goods were offloaded next to the trucks, and later in the afternoon be moved them to their storage location, or to the dry issue line. The meal was 1st rate with all the trimmings..the same menu being served to all armed forces throughout Vietnam wherever feasible. This is so, as the time period covered is August 1966 through February 1967. Note:As a general rule of thumb, and even though all units (paperwork wise) used the designation Direct Support or (DS) in all paperwork, Orders, Morning Reports, etc!, other entities and higher authority beyond the 29th General Support Group seemed to always drop the Direct Support or (DS) designation. For the most part C123, C130, and Air Force C5 transport planes were the type arriving with supply product. He then broke into a swearing tirade about how that Mamasan was trying to kill us with a grenade. However, the 228th was utilizing two POL storage Tanks see Gallery 1966 -1967 February 1967 where both tanks are clearly in evidence. Kema having served his 2 years of active duty honorably and with fidelity (usually served as guard for Payroll Officers each month), was the first to rotate from the unit (228th) to CONUS for discharge and separation. It is unclear as to whether it was strict policy of the time or not. Note: The actual T0&E of a reduced strength Supply and Service Company (DS)5 Officers, 228 enlisted for a total of 233 was designed to support 16,000 rather than the 15,000 stated by Major Ward. Turkeys were not deemed combat essential at Long Binh or Saigon. related to a felow who had disappeared and taken off from Cu Chi and gone missing or AWOL. At the same time all personnel were required to remove their 6th Army insignia shoulder patch, to be replaced by the 1st Logistics Command shoulder insignia, aka; the leaning outhouse. At the time, I was wide awake and wired, as I could not believe I was actually in Vietnam. But, I guarantee that no one in Tay Ninh Base Camp was going to be attacked that night. Upon completion of quarters, personal shower point and personal outhouse of Battalion CommanderCompany B pool table, refrigerator, phonograph player and air conditioning unit were requisitioned and installed in the Battalion Commanders quarters along with the only Company B generator to operate electric lighting and other electrics within said quarters. I had an additional 5 months of active duty to serve before I was discharged from active service in July of 1968. Jones Jr. 1st Logistics Command Commanding as of July 1967, who had replaced Major General, Stanley Lollis.ABN). The most glaring mismatch being the structure built by personnel of HQ Tent (Company Clerk, Class I Clerk, Company Armorer, Assistant Company Clerk, Company Generator Operator, and COs Driver). Subsequently, informal convoys of 5 10 vehicles were permitted to travel to Bearcat, but not beyond. For us (besides being in the middle of nowhere) the major concern was Saigon for obvious reasons. It also tells me, that by that time, George had to have been assigned into the 228th, as all TDY all purpose personnel had relocated back to their original units of assignment by late March 1967.ABN}. (7) II Field Forces had intended that Vung Tau Port and Route 15 would become a viable alternate to Saigon Port, for troops and supplies, in 1966. All this required working forklifts to offload incoming supplies brought by the convoys from Saigon/Long Binh and loading the heavier items on supported units transport. This despite the fact, that there had been no Article 15s or Court Martial within the Company since inception. While supporting Operation Attleboro, preparations were being made to expand the mission operational sites for follow up combat operations Gadsden, Cedar Falls and Junction City.all between 7 October 1966 and the end of February 1967. Planning for support of the big operations was done by MAJ Jerry Ward (quartered with the 228th), the 1st Logistical Command units he worked with, and whoever those units worked with in the combat commands (as we in 228th SC would have been clueless about what might possibly be required for those operations). The meeting turns into a finger pointing free for all of who screwed up, whos responsible, who dropped the ball, and whats going to be done about it. C Battery 4th Battalion (ARA) 77th Artillery 1969 D Troop 17th U.S. Cavalry , The Shield of Deterrence, 1972-1973 HHC 1 BDE 101 ABN Aviation Section Mini-History To say it was relaxing and refreshing would be an understatement. Per table of organization a reduced strength company of 233 was allocated 57 personnel to its Laundry section and Bath section of the Platoon. There was not a single one of us who had much to say to each other for the remainder of that very, very sad day. (2) Even after that, it was not controlled, but rather secured for different short periods. From October 1966 through March of 1967 there was a good deal of outgoing artillery fire at or near the Company area, in particular at night. CriticalPast is an archive of historic footage. Replacement personnel arriving in bits and spurts beginning in April 1967 through May 1967 would have found vehicles and equipment in short supply, and in some cases in need of maintenance. These guys would tell some gross tales about the bodies and remains they had processed. . was being supplied by both air and ground forces (convoy) from a number of locations and by other entities from Saigon, Long Binh, and Cu Chi, as well as various aviation units out of Bien Hoa, and Saigon.The key point, is that the 228th Supply and Service Company (DS) was the only Supply unit physically assigned and representing the 266th Supply and Service Battallion (DS), United States Army Support Command and 1st Logistics Command as well as Command and Control Center, with actual boots on the ground within Tay Ninh Base Camp and its environs. Few units have earned and received this special recognition and honor of induction into the Quartermaster Regiment as a Distinguished Unit of the Regiment. This instantly created a problem for my most trusted and competent SP4 E4s in relations between the Infantry and our unit. It was the first instance of non-award of The Good Conduct Medal to a deserving enlisted person of the 228th, but it was not the last. During this time period, the Commanding Officer of the 196th specifically excluded the 228th from serving Guard Duty on the perimeter or within the Base Camp. Odd too, as we (the 228th) were a direct support supply company, and supposedly we had nearly everything that might be needed by us, or the the many hundreds of troops we were supporting. Well, the next day General Jones drove through the yard at about 20 miles per hour and never stopped. ** New or updated material will appear in the color RED within the Website. The unit remained in Tent City A for a period of approximately five (5) days, and then received orders to proceed by convoy to a small outpost called Long Binh, some 8 to 10 miles northeast of Saigon. Why the Commander ignored this matter, this writer cannot answer. Arrangements were made for personnel to visit other quarry operations in Vietnam to work with crusher personnel and to train in rock drilling and explosive placement. He was not a bad guy at all, but our group consisted of High School graduates and fellows with one or two years of College. In general, the breakdown by ethnicity for the 228th Supply and Service Company (Direct Support) 1966 1967 was as follows: Black 12%, Hispanic 15%, White 71%, Other 1%. The 29th Group indicates 14 WIA the true number is 17 WIA.ABN..addendum 22 June 2011. He doesnt get ice-cream and all the other stuff the ARs (Army Regulations) state that medical units are supposed to get. LTC. This being the case, i.e. that required the yards to notify SC if the last one of any item was issued, and SC to notify the yards if an item was reduced to zero on the SC records, and in either case wed send someone out to the yard to hunt around with yard personnel just to be sure the item really wasnt there (and correct the SC records if needed). (1) Packaged greases and lubricants should be delivered with fuels. We had our gear, duffle bags, flack jacket, steel helmets, and our M14s.but we had no ammunition or magazine clips whatsoever.

Sarah Maslin Nir Married, Why Does Bluetooth Signal Not Interfere With Wifi Physics, Articles OTHER

228th field artillery battalion