threes up british slang

Prior to her time at Celebrity, she had worked as an officer for both Disney Cruise Lines and Royal Caribbean. Sometimes you head for a corner of the world where luxury resides in a surprisingly approachable way. in Broadcast Journalism. McCue said she later applied to Miami-based Royal Caribbean International in hopes of more advancement opportunities with a larger company. All rights reserved. Male captains are always addressed as captain. "I was focusing so much on that, that I couldn't enjoy what I wanted since I was 12 years old, that had come to fruition. Join Travel Weekly, TravelAge West and leaders from top river cruise companies to get the latest updates on your clients Cruise North America with More Value Than Ever. Now McCue is at the helm of the newest and largest ship in Celebrity's fleet, The Beyond, which makes its debut in April 2022. I went on a cruise with my family when I was 12 years old. Cruise Hive was established back in 2008 and among the earliest blogs in the industry. From photos of cotton candy sunrises on the horizon, to videos of dolphins dancing in the waters below to clips of crew tie-dying shirts to pass the time, McCue's Instagram is a whirlwind look at life on board the ship. Kate McCue Born: January 6, 1978 (age 44years), San Francisco, California, United States, Kate McCue Education: Cal Maritime, Lakeside High School. "Someone came up to him and said 'Oh, captain, you're doing a great job' and he turned them toward me and said 'No, she's the captain'. Tasks is on vacation and his brother Dimetris is relieving Captain Kate on the Beyond. Shes now going to be the captain for Celebrity Cruises newest cruise ship, Celebrity Beyond. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a No Sail Order for ships traveling from US ports. I was itching to get back to sea. And well be at the top of it with pots and pans and anything we can make noise with to welcome them back on. Offering these words of wisdom and acting as a role model for other young female seafarers is important to McCue, but she hopes one day it'll be redundant. I understood the question as to which ship he is on. Captain McCue played a major role. The Luminaries: Captain Kate McCue Wants More Women to Lead Ships - Insider Cortney Moore is an associate lifestyle writer on the Lifestyle team at Fox News Digital. "There weren't stripes, there weren't positions, it was -- in the end -- 80 people that just knew each other as family. And the third way is a computer system we call the voyage management system. Ill give you an example; we were sailing into San Juan, Puerto Rico, and we had rain squalls that hit the ship and gusting winds up to 48 knots which I had not experienced on a ship before. No one ship in the world has a magic carpet. '", Copyright 2023 Northstar Travel Media, LLC. Fun stories about food, relationships, the great outdoors and more. Her husband was a guest on the cruise. When my husband and I were working together, we'd get back to our cabin, order room service, watch our Game of Thrones, and go to bed. Nowadays, McCue enjoys injecting her personality and wide smile into her role -- and it's advice she gives others: you can take your job seriously, do the job well, and be yourself. Speaking of Captains, where is Tasos these days? Interview with Captain Kate McCue - Travel with Style The realworld is a scary place, you have to go out, sit on traffic, to go to the grocery store, pay bills and do all that. Kate McCue, the first American woman to captain a mega cruise ship clapped back at a social media troll with a grammar lesson. Correction: A previous version of this article said that Palmyra is in Syria. So when they see me around the ship they are always surprised and the number one question I get asked is, if you are here who is driving (and this is driving me crazy) the boat. Captain Kate McCue has been married to her husband, Nikola Petrovic, since 2006. Disclamer: Kate McCue net worth displayed here are calculated based on a combination social factors. You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter! I also really enjoy Eden cause its a restaurant and a bar, and its a really cool place to chill and enjoy the entertainment. "I knew nothing of Instagram," she recalled. She will take her celebrity status to the new Celebrity Beyond, as the ship will offer a variety of Mediterranean journeys, including nine-night Italian Riviera and France itineraries and 10-night Greek Isles itineraries through early October. I dont see a lot of cold pizzas coming from me though. After buying Seabourn Odyssey, Japanese cruise line to put focus on U.S. River lines put more sports-related cruise options in play, This Celebrity captain is a master of Instagram, too, Pickleball is a hit, and Holland America has taken notice, UnCruise's new strategy: Double down on what sells best, What Harry Sommer sees at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, What I'll remember about meeting Frank Del Rio on the Prima, Capturing the 'Margaritaville spirit' on the Margaritaville at Sea cruise line. Hell walk around and ask people, Do you know who I am? And when they say no, he says, Im the captains wife. He thinks its really cute to say that, which it is. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. It's actually a myth about how to make money on Facebook Kate McCue (born January 6, 1978) is an American cruise ship captain, currently employed by Celebrity Cruises. Covid-19 brought the cruise industry to a standstill -- virus-hit ships were quarantined and passengers were denied disembarkation. We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we back. The very first thing I say when I introduce myself to every single person onboard the ship via the PA system is Hi, this is captain Kate but you can call me a captain because it took me 19 years to earn this title so they know what to expect. As a chief engineer, that's the highest position you can have in that field. " When I started in 2015 we only had a 3% female bridge team fleetwide. Every day, we're in a different place and conditions are never the same. In 4 years weve gone from 3% to 22%. Cruise kitty makes the cutest first mate - Yahoo News Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. When she joined Celebrity as the first female captain of a major cruise line, the line suggested she open a social media account, and it gave her a crash course on how to post and tag. Now McCue is at the helm of the newest and largest ship in Celebrity's fleet, The Beyond, which makes its debut in April 2022. "If you need any more clarification, you can find me here in my captain's chair," she concluded with a sparkle filter to emphasize her job title. The last voyage of McCue's December-March stretch was to coincide with International Women's Day, a special Celebrity sailing in which the ship was entirely staffed by female officers. It's just one post in the social media life of McCue, also known as Captain Kate, also known as @captainkatemccue to more than 200,000 Instagram followers. It wasnt intentional to get a hairless cat, I just came acrossaSphinx breed on Instagram and was so fascinated. Making coffee in the espresso bar. Copyright 19952023 The Independent Traveler, Inc. Amazing, Funny & Totally Awesome Cruise Photos. You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter! Get That Lifeis a weekly series that reveals how successful, talented, creative women got to where they are now. When I went to college, he reminded me of that conversation. We're talking of course about Captain Kate McCue, the first female cruise ship captain in America who's spent the past . When she became the commanding officer of Celebrity Summit in 2015, it was the first time that an American woman had been named captain of a "Mega" cruise ship. But through her channels, "I get messages all the time, 'how do I get into this,' and 'this is the situation I'm in.'" Captain Kate McCue is currently captain of Celebrity's newest ship, The Edge. Photo courtesy Kate McCue. The video has been viewed more than 1.2 million times and McCue has more than 321,000 TikTok followers as of Thursday. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, McCue has been working since December, and won't go home to Nevada and her husband until October 16. There are three ways you drive the ship you have the helm, or the wheel, which is actually smaller than the wheel in your car. This Celebrity captain is a master of Instagram, too - Travel Weekly Its a size thing. McCue picked up on the theme during our conversation last week and reiterated her phrase: "If you can see ('sea') it, you can be it.". This is the best souvenir of all the time. Captain Kate McCue (@captainkatemccue) on Instagram Last week . McCue's husband, who also works in the cruise industry, was on board Edge on vacation at the time. All rights reserved. She lives in landlocked Cleveland with her travel writer husband, David Molyneaux. I enjoy being on the ship and honestly if you told me that I would need to spend the next five years onboard the ship and could never get off I would be fine with that. It's important, says McCue, "to understand the gravity of the responsibility.". See how we can help you plan, book, and save on your next vacation. In the evenings, there are different functions I get to attend. Not only was an all-female crew staffing the bridge for the first time, but at the helm was Captain Kate McCue, the first American woman to command a megaship. We're always on call, but no one works 24 hours a day. Its better than flippers. I said, Heck, yes., McCues career was inspired by her first cruise when she was a child. @itsdanielmac is definitely: Becoming a ship's godmother. ", CELEBRITY CRUISES APPOINTS FIRST AMERICAN FEMALE CAPTAIN, "Normally as I'm scrolling through comments and see something like this, I totally ignore it and move on with my life, McCue started in her video response, which she posted on Saturday. And whether people love it or not, that wasn't really my concern. Spouses are usually permitted to accompany captains whilst they are on voyages. I met Lisa during a captains conference. Fran Golden is an award-winning travel writer who has sailed on more than 150 cruises. Before she was employed at Celebrity, McCue worked her way up from 2nd officer to staff captain at Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. And prior to that, she was a 3rd mate at the Disney Cruise Line. And its easy to swim with because its a mono-tail that floats. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Obviously, she's busy: McCue is still in command of a 131,000 gross-ton cruise ship, a serious job by any measure. At 37 years of age, San Francisco native Kate McCue will command Celebrity Summit a 91,000-ton, 965-foot ship in the Celebrity Cruises fleet, sailing between the eastern United States and Bermuda. As Covid worries heightened and uncertainty grew, he traveled back to Vegas, and McCue planned to follow. She has been a captain at Celebrity Cruises since the summer of 2015, where she has served as a master the highest ranking captain role on a cruise ship, according to CruiseShipJob.com. Yes, Tasos is on vacation, but on the Edge when he is on a ship. But I am also confident that its not going to be premature, that were going to do it right, when its time. As always, thank you for your continued support and for letting me share this Beyond amazing career! I love the magic carpet; Ive got my magic carpet necklace which I proudly rock. Yes, the captain does drive. It's such a happy place. With two separate Instagram accounts (@captainkatemccue, and one devoted purely to her cat He said, "Captain?" A little off topic, but he does a fabulous Captains Corner, You will be able to leave a comment after signing in, Copyright 19952023 The Independent Traveler, Inc. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. We do 12 weeks on, 12 weeks off. #celebritybeyond #cruise #ship #captain #VACAY "I look forward to the day where, honestly, being the first female anything isn't a thing anymore. Get the latest offers from AAA Travels preferred partners. . "That's a lot of trial and error and a tripod. Duck = 1, Book = 0, The 411 on FAQ's: Subscribe for insight on a Captain's career, her ship, crew, & trusty sidekick (a hairless cat named Bug Naked) & of course the . Not only was an all-female crew staffing the bridge for the first time, but at the helm was Captain Kate McCue, the first American woman to command a megaship. Powered by Invision Community. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. Kate and Nikola met while working onboard a Royal Caribbean ship. I promise some people care. She also uses it to explain her role as the ship's master to passengers and, of course, to school the occasional hater. I started to get that wanderlust passion going on. She's currently got 204,000 followers and counting. When we get to a port and passengers are getting off, who is looking after the animal still on the ship? When she became the commanding officer of Celebrity Summit in 2015, it was the first time that an American woman had been named captain of a "Mega" cruise ship. I needed to get used to everything. Thanks Auntie Lani, Uncle Johnny, Emily, Artist Ernst Arnold & @karmaandluck McCue has three primary accounts: Her Instagram, which she called her "digital photo album"; a TikTok, where she can show off her self-professed goofy side; and a YouTube channel, where she produces more educational content -- a recent video, for example, was titled, "Repatriating cruise ship crew during a pandemic.". When she was 12, .css-tjvzc4{-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:inherit;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;border-bottom:thin solid #6F6F6F;}.css-tjvzc4:hover{color:#595959;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;}Kate McCuewent on her first cruise with her family. Captain Kate McCue will take control of the new vessel when it debuts in Spring 2022. Its just to give you an example of something that could go wrong. Basically, you have first officers who stand eight-hour watches on the bridge. She used that "purse and keys" joke when I was aboard, which was definitely NOT her first sailing. I worked hard for the captain title. I applied to every cruise company I could find. We were bringing bananas from Ecuador to Long Beach, California. For the past couple of years she's been delighting fans and educating them about life on the bridge, juxtaposing shots of lightning storms with videos of the engineering team removing the injectors from the engines (soundtrack: Imagine Dragons' "Whatever it Takes") and otherworldly photos of her swimming off the ship in a mermaid tail -- and running through it all, her enthusiasm for captions with nautical puns. All Rights Reserved. Purchase travel insurance with Allianz Global Assistance. We have 72 nationalities onboard. It is definitely a marathon, not a sprint. Bonaire is my favorite Caribbean island because it is so untouched. We'd like to sail with her again. The places we could go. I oversee it all. Will we still have a great time if she's not the Captain? Captain Kate McCue has helmed Celebrity Edge since 2019. And that was really cool.". Sandals celebrates Global Travel Advisor Day with booking incentives, Airlines' NDC plans fragment distribution, Dondra Ritzenthaler on her retirement from Celebrity Cruises and what's next, No lava, no problem at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, How All-Inclusives Redefine Luxury Vacations, Seabourn will do a circumnavigation cruise of Africa, Viking takes delivery of the Saturn, names Ann Ziff godmother, Scenic Group USA hires sales and marketing executives, Enjoying the magic of Maui at Marriott's Wailea Beach Resort, A plane with 14 seat products? He is a Chief Engineer working on Virgin Voyages. As captain, I can't work with him on the same ship because then I'm his boss at home and at work, and the poor bugger doesn't have a chance. When I started in 2015 we only had a 3% female bridge team fleetwide. Then her father gave her some encouragement that changed her life. I hear about how his day is going rather than taking it for granted. First female 'mega' cruise ship captain joins Liz Claman to discuss With that,McCue's path wasset. I have everything else. McCue says the crew on Edge rallied around one another, and she celebrated every time a crew member successfully disembarked the ship and reunited with their loved ones. ", McCue says that, at first, having the spotlight on her both as a captain and as the first female captain was "overwhelming.". Market data provided by Factset. Captain Kate McCue to Take the Helm of New Celebrity Cruise Ship Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com. '", "So, just a quick reference: 'you're,' as in 'you are,' as in 'you are sexist,' she continued confidently in her captain uniform. Captain Kate McCue, the first and only American woman to captain a major cruise ship, is embarking on a new leg of her career by captaining the Celebrity Beyond which is expected to launch. I had visited Maui on one of the training ships [during college], and I just fell in love. Charles covers media, politics and breaking news, and has covered the annual CPAC conference for Fox News Digital. Her ultimate dream? Disinfecting and sorting packages. As Celebrity Edge spent months in limbo, McCue also documented life on board via her. Long term, her goal is to take a ship out of the yard in a new build. Captain Kate McCue on Beyond released a TikTok story answering follower questions. Captain Kate has transcended what it means to be a captain as a voice and example of inclusivity, diversity, and change, said Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo. "From regulations and closures of countries around the world and situations that were popping up -- you couldn't have written a Hollywood script that could include all of the things that were coming at us," says McCue. Female Captain. Kate McCue, captain of the 2,918-passenger Celebrity Edge, is the first American female captain of a mega cruise ship. Lufthansa gives it a try, I found the rest I needed across from a strip mall, Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection, What's hot on the Las Vegas pool scene this season, Hyatt is acquiring the Mr and Mrs Smith hotel collection, Western mountain resorts are facing a demand erosion this summer, With more ships and new homeports, MSC Cruises is attracting Americans, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort is getting new cabins, Virgin Voyages' Scarlet Lady will have a branded poker room. My cat has 24/7 supervision. This summer she started experimenting with TikTok, which she says is "just for fun" -- although she's already, There are also cameos from her cat, Bug Naked, who accompanies McCue on Edge and has. Routine is not a part of the job. I've done presentations to hundreds of people at a time in theaters, auditoriums, over Zoom, etc. The maneuvering part is the most fascinating part of the job. "When I first started applying to cruise lines I didn't have a contact; social media wasn't a thing," she said. These are places that most people will not see in their lifetimes. I also did an internship with Chiquita on cargo ships. The places we are visiting, the people we have onboard, even the weather. In July, she became the first American female captain of a megaton cruise ship. I dont know how that comes across in the PA announcement. My bubble bursts. Here are some steps you must take if a client pays with a large amount of cash. McCue's husband, who also works in the cruise industry, was on board Edge on vacation at the time. For the first time in the cruise industry - and in Celebrity Cruises' history - an American female will take the helm of a mega-ton cruise ship. Captain Kate McCue - Brains and Beauty on the Edge McCue's reliever, supposed to arrive from Greece, never came. Her first major cruising post was as an entry-level Third Mate on a Disney Cruise Lines ship. My dad was working at Area 51 [a highly classified Air Force facility in Nevada]. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. My goal since then was to become a captain," she says. In 4 years weve gone from 3% to 22%. Every evening, whether the Celebrity Edge cruise ship is crisscrossing the Caribbean or meandering around the Mediterranean, Captain Kate McCue writes night orders for her team. Kate McCue is the captain of Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Edge. Advice From The First Woman Mega-Cruise Ship Captain: Surround - Forbes She wrote me an amazing letter, which I got to give to my dad on Father's Day. I dont know what he was doinghe cant say. Kate Chastain Is Pregnant with Her First Baby! See Her Bump Pic - People They were always pushing me to my goal. "But then I realized, if I don't do it, who else is going to do it? When McCue started at Celebrity, she found herself returning to this feedback, and trying her best to remain poker-faced. Instead of killing spiders, you can eat at the best restaurants, see shows that are just as good as we have in Vegas [where McCue now lives when on land], and go on amazing shore excursions, like looking for bears in Alaska, riding a hot air balloon over Tuscany, or driving a Ferrari down the Amalfi Coast. Also a lot of time on my hands to play with it and see what works.". Then I'll get up and be on the bridge and maneuver into port. I was assisting the [first] officer on the watch. Every cruise we have 2900 guests and 1200-1300 crew members. For the first time in the cruise industry and in Celebrity Cruises history an American female will take the helm of a mega-ton cruise ship. I personally like wearing a mask because I only have to buy half the makeup I used to. We have more female captains in our company than some of the largest companies combined in all of their brands that are under their umbrellas. CRUISE LINES SHOULD BAN PASSENGERS FROM FREELY ROAMING PORT CITIES, CRUISE PANEL PROPOSES. He guided me toward the California Maritime Academy. Every time he comes home, it's like a new honeymoon, if you know what I mean. Celebrity Beyond is currently in the final stages of construction at the Chantiers de lAtlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France. Kate McCue earlier this year threw open the doors to her suite on the Edge, and nearly 100,000 people peeked in. Join TravelAge West and severalAlaskapartners for a three-part series exploring all the incredible possibilities https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Insights/Instagram-Celebrity-captain. We all worked on the same catamaran that took people out to the crater Molokini.

Are The Slaton Sisters Inbred, Articles W

who is captain kate mccue husband?