shopify mercari integration

Any large caliber pistol is going to deliver often punishing recoil. Over the decades, several cartridges have proved themselves as worthy against the nastiest bears North America has to offer. Elmer Keith developed it to hunt AK Brown bears. I learned things that could make the difference between success and failure. Bears, including grizzlies, have been killed with 22 long rifles. of energy at the muzzle. Wont take too long until you go viral. Sure looks like a bunch of weakling dodging on your part, Hank. Why, oh why, wasnt that gun on someones hip? You have entered an incorrect email address! 1. Your gun needs to be accessible and not overly retained. 2. As for his own writing, yeah, I sure do criticize it. Grizzly bears enter a state of hyperphagia in the fall, a condition that provokes gluttony in preparation for winter hibernation. TTAG has lots of writers who are smarter than him when it comes to the woods and guns. The 44 Mag does have its downsides. And you have no idea how much anybody here spends in Bear Country. I've killed big bear with one shot (usually .338 mag) but I was also in on a bear kill with my hunting partner when things didn't go well. Next to Bison, they are the second largest cause of fatalities and mauling s in Yellowstone Park. Male grizzlies will defend their territory to the death. Anyone else? With a 3-inch barrel and a six-shot cylinder combining for a weight of just 25 ounces, this gun was made to be both carried and shot. No Time For My 338 or the 12 gauge we had in camp, I got up slowly, turned and fired a shot from my S&W Alaskan Backpacker 44magnum, that was just enough to turn the Big Boar, he leaped the 20 foot distance between us in one bound, and landed just to our left, ( my partner fired ( as the Boar was flying through the air) and hit the Boar, through the the lungs with his Backpacker 44 mag, the Boar hit the ground and leaped away from us, (this would be a V shaped leap) we found him the next morning about 80 yards from camp back in the woods, Dead!! People must do that. The cause and the effect of the .44 shot is obvious in the video. Feel free to reach out to us or read our affiliate disclosure and privacy policy. FRIEND HAD BEAR COME THRU WINDOW ONE NIGHT SO NUFF SAID. A handgun is worn on your person, however, and is invaluable because it stays with you, whether youre answering natures call or stopping to field dress a game animal. Interesting study. And sometimes folks can save themselves with a handgun. Admit that you were wrong and apologize. From thegreatwhitehunter.com: When Reed distracted the bear from its attack on me, I had time to concentrate on the holster. It dispels the notion that pistols are useless as a defense. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/04/140415-black-bear-florida-attack-habitat-wildlife-conservation/ We have to think. You can carry a 9 in bear country if you want, but make sure the sights are filed down! You could try noticing that fact, wondering about it, and asking, Why wouldnt you choose a long-barreled gun that shoots with higher velocity, better penetration, more accuracy, less muzzle flip, less recoil, and holds one more bullet to stop a charging bear?. A reliable Winchester pump-action shotgun and Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs. Its important to remember, however, that 44 mag ammo is not a magic bullet. Make sure to have several encounters. 10 BEST PADDLE BOARD AND KAYAK COMBOS 2023 WITH BUYING GUIDE, Grizzly 300 Grain Cast lead bullet wide flat nose, Buffalo Bore 300-grain hard cast flat nose bullet, Buffalo Bore 300 grain jacketed flat nose. For more information on how to protect yourself from bears, visit the website of your local hunting or outdoors store. The 44 magnum when compared with the other large-caliber bear defense cartridges is rather lightweight in the recoil department. will make it easy to kill black bears. Yet, they have no idea what it feels like to pull the trigger much less shoot that pistol. While some may consider it the minimum, its plenty powerful enough to stop an onerous bear. MY HOG BACK UP IS MY SHORT BARREL S&W .44 THO HAVE YET HAVE ONE TO GET UP FROM REM .308 HOG HAMMERS. The Griz, as he is often called, is actually the North American Brown Bear. You write em and put your name on em, you have to do that heavy lifting. However, Ive learned a few things. Mag. A Smith & Wesson Model 29, in .44 Remington Magnum - completely in the vein of Dirty Harry - still makes an excellent choice for the bear woods. In this blog post, well discuss the importance of having 44 mag ammo for bear protection, and well give you some tips on how to use it effectively. Yet the .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum handgun produces 2,254 ft.-lbs. Seems that the bleeding hearts in the state in which he resides view the rights of wild animals and violent sociopaths as superior to those of regular folks. Center Mass hits can disrupt the circulatory system, but science has proven that enough blood remains in a humans system that they can continue to act for up to about 10 seconds. And you actually said this:handguns are the best. Bear spray is worthless Ive used it three times. I recommend training and study before using. Your drugs. Do your own research, calculate the very physics/ ballistics the Taylor Knock Down Factor. NAM TAUGHT ME SH#T, SHOWER, SHAVE, SLEEP WITH WEAPON. Now do what I did when I was wrong last week. Just try to accept the fact that handguns are the best and enjoy the show while it lasts because the rage that exists in you is going to be your demise. When hunting black bear, use a rifle with good sights and a scope. The guys got lucky.. How in the hell did our ancestors kill them with a rock tied on the end of a stick? I can't imagine anyone feeling comfortable packing a .44 mag. of energy from the muzzle. If I carried any handgun for self defense, Id only load it with one roundfor myself. .44 Remington MagnumConsidered by many to be the minimum for big bear defense rounds, the .44 Remington Magnum was first introduced in 1955 for revolvers and gained widespread popularity in the 1970s thanks to Dirty Harry. .378 Weatherby Magnum (300gr FMJ at 2,925fps)(4,263 ft lbs): 47.0 Personally, multiple rounds at close range with 00 buck will rip your fucking eyeballs out, no matter what you are. Granted, the stopping power of any pistol is low, but the nonsense in your post about the .38 vs .45 makes everything else you say not credible. ======================================================================. If I had to camp for the night. When Jeff Newville faced his moment of truth with the grizzly, he barely had time to fire his revolver. Would I be able to stop a bear attack if it happened to me? Yes, a 44 Magnum is capable of killing a bear, although it is not recommended as a bear defense arms. When carrying 44 mag ammo for bear protection, it is also important to be aware of the range at which you are likely to encounter the animal. Check the following. Taylor KnockOutFactor: the rifles were left outside the tents, but inside the protective alarm wire. Im certain this is the most butthurt Ive made anyone on this website since that crazed lefty threatened to sue me. And to the the post of a guy shot many times with a 9mm, you are correct sir. We have to do better. That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. Hell, it wasnt even American. Go outside and smoke a cigarette or something. What is the title of Craig Boddingtons book? This is why Forest Rangers use a slug (.73 cal = 12GA) a poor mans elephant gun under 50 yards that rivals a .458 Win Mag. Don't bet your life on bear spray. Redding Reloading Equipment has added a New 3-Die Set for the 300 HAMRa bottleneck cartridge based on a modified .223 Remington case necked up to 30-caliber. The first time a strong cross wind completely redirected the spray 90degrees to the side. However, if we are considering the average person on an outdoor adventure, we need to look at the best fit option. Note that the .38 Long Colt used in the Philipines was even less powerful than the .38 special, and US troops did in fact prefer the .45 Colt revolver to the .38 Long Colt. 2. I have always acknowledged your educational and army background and qualifications when Ive criticized you. Yes, the 7mm Remington Magnum is A GOOD CHOICE for grizzly or brown bear hunting, under average conditions, from a mid-range distance, with a medium grain expanding bullet, and with correct shot placement. Now theres some first-class thinking Thats the reason why infantrymen have left their rifles back at camp when they go into battle for the last thousand years. A well placed shot from a .44 Magnum will penetrate both shoulders of a black bear with ease. Presumably he removed it when they started cleaning the moose, which is probably the worst time to do so. I was awfully struck by the Santa Cruz mountains-area hiking book I read. A 9, 38, or 45 isnt an adequate round for something as large as a bear, with think hide, fur and muscles. You have access to the Internets, just as others do. He was a brave soul. Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!! You criticize Dean, he responds and asks you to provide a source for your criticism, and then you refuse, and do so in a self-righteous manner? Big credit to the guy finding his calm in that situation; it allowed him to place a well aimed shot . It depends on the situation, as well as the type of bear in question. No problem. Im thankful that Ive never had to defend myself against anything but an overly aggressive dog. And those rifleslike the Marlin 1894 or Ruger 77/44are lightweight, compact, and ideal for hound. for grizzly protection. The Army even ranted against the 30-40 Krag as being ineffective. The cartridge was used to thwart attacks from black bear, brown bear, grizzly, and even a Kodiak Bear. For example the venerable .38 Special, 158 grain load exits a four-inch barrel at something like 950 fps which isnt enough velocity to reliably cause deep, catastrophic damage in a large, tough animal. Keep your distance if possible. The beauty of the .454, however, is that you can practice with .45 Colt rounds and save yourself a bit of recoil trauma. Overall, the 44 magnum revolvers are lighter weight than the larger caliber handguns. Doug shot the bear and stopped the attack. Great choice. grains X muzzle FPS X inches /7000. The 9mm has 350 to 450 ft/lbs. In conclusion, using a cartridge such as the .44 Magnum is recommended when hunting black bear in order to ensure a quick and humane kill. Im referring to the Trending now BS. has killed its fair share of charging bears. The period of time for their data set was from 1883 to 2009. Keep in mind that you might need a Magnum load to propel a heavy bullet to a decent velocity. Even in the flawed study Efficacy of firearms for bear deterrence in Alaska the researchers only found 269 attacks in Alaska. However, as far as stopping power on even the largest grizzly bear, it delivers enough energy to get the job done. It is loaded with the best bear ammo that their internet research recommends. Again, Im not saying this because I necessarily disagree with you, Im saying it because it hurts your own cause. There are other downsides to carrying larger firearms that may not pose as big a problem for some people. This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar, 2022 Yestactical.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Of course, your choice of which gun to carry can mitigate some of the recoil issues. Some of these guys are border line genius. and 2700 fps, thus delivering massive energy on target. All of that being said, in my past 4 years in Alaska, you know how many times Ive been attacked by a bear? If you do encounter one, though, remember these tips: It is important to note that even if a 44 Magnum round does stop a bear in its tracks, there is still a chance that it could come back after being shot. It was day 3 of the hunt and we decided to head home due to adverse weather. Since the bear usually knows where you are long before you are aware of the bear, your reaction time may be considerably less than 4.5 seconds. The .357 is also available in smaller-framed revolvers that fit smaller hands, making it ideal for women and less experienced shooters. Its also been incredibly popular among Alaskan hunters and guides, especially in lever-actions like Marlins 1895 Guide Gun, which is compact, fairly lightweight and highly maneuverable in close quarters. Youtubes pretty good, and even has spray vs. grizzly vids too, readers. So, at this point 39.53% of my life. I am not sure I can perform this feat with a 450 Casull or a .460 S&W. So youre absolutely not man enough to admit that you were wrong about the Florida attack, then? 5. I bothered to read the articles about last weeks the bear attack in Florida, unlike you. Despite NGs statement about black bears normally running when confronted by a human, do not bet your life on it! As an avid outdoors person (hunting and fishing mostly)I love to mention and link to various products and gear I use. Black bears are responsible for more human deaths and mauling s than griz and brown bear combined! Sourced? Heard that from a park ranger or game warden, no doubt. I APPRECIATE BEARS PLACE IN NATURE, DO NOT HUNT THEM PERSONALLY ( ELK YES, TASTES BETTER TO ME) AND RESPECTFULLY KEEP MY DISTANCE WHEN POSSIBLE. Luck by definition means the odds are against you. Penetration is key, so hard cast lead is the way to go. But while our hands were fresh we shot the revolver first. Even sleeping! Considered by many to be the most versatile North American big-game cartridge, the .338 Win. My partner had never been Face To Face with a Bear before, but he did well (said he never heard a word I said) You just do what you have to do, thats all. 12-Gauge SlugAccording to Nelson, the 12-gauge slug gun is by far one of the most popular choices for bear protection in the Alaskan bush. I suggest reading up on bears and forget the dual-fisted Indiana Jones fantasy. is the standard most American hunters use. I am looking forward to seeing them. Keep your gun on your hip and always designate one to watch for bears. My hope was that the shot would sting the bear and help scare him away along with the flame and loud report. You still need to know how to use it effectively in order to maximize its potential. Most black bears can be stopped with a bullet fired from as close as 20 yards away, but brown and grizzly bears can be much more dangerous and may require shots from further distances. Please send your references, links preferred. Henrys newest single shot is easy to carry and sports fiber-optic sights and a turkey choke for deadly tight patterns. All of the guides I have hunted with insist that everyone have a bear defense firearm on their person almost at all times. But bears are all-natural and organic, and everybody knows that anything that is all-natural and organic is safe and good for your health, right? Oh, and the other key to using .44 Magnum to successfully stop a large grizzly bear attack is HAVING IT ON YOUR PERSON. Buffalo Bore produces several loads for the .50 Alaskan, including a 450-grain bullet that delivers a whopping 4,400 ft.-lbs. No, they had whole *lot* of time to think about how to do it, holed up in a drafty, cold cave with *nothing* to do but listen to cave-wife bitch and cake-kids squabble. The .45 Long Colt revolver (or just Colt) fired a larger diameter bullet, with greater weight, and a significantly higher velocity than the .38 Long Colt, or even todays .38 special standard loads. Heres an excerpt. of energy at 1500 fps, while the 495-grain DDupleks leaves the muzzle at 1410 fps with 2,180 ft.-lbs. Assume those links are affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click and buy. here: Live survive love laugh and be happy, not screaming in terror before dying in pain, 7mm Remington Magnum (168gr Nosler AccuBond LR at 2,880fps): 19.6 Remember that handguns are not as powerful as rifles and may not provide enough penetration on larger bears. The heaviest I have found without casting my own is 265 gr. Chuke tests 44 Mag and 10mm Underwood Extreme Penetrator on his actual Grizzly Bear Skull to dispel the urban myth that a bears skull will ward off these kin. Hes a fear pimp. When it comes to defending yourself against a bear attack, theres no substitute for 44 mag ammo. AT 1.82 per round, I can afford to go to the range to hone my skills. Nelson killed one of his charging grizzlies with a .454 Casull, which he says is one of his favorite choices for bear defense. I come back again to accuracy rather than bullet size. Does that (true, b.t.w.) This way it wont hurt you as much when the bear shoves it where the sun dont shine. Our Sitemap. JUST CALLED THEM ON THE PHONE AND MOST HELPFUL. In 1984, Winchester began to produce rifles chambered for cartridge, legitimizing Waters dream, and establishing it as a commercial cartridge. There are some books out on bear attacks as well. In general, you should always try to avoid any conflict with bears if possible. Bear Gun Shootout: The .44 Magnum. Click bait makes me so mad I wish I had a .44 magnum! They dont. 1) are these Alaskan hunters from Alaska? The rest of the time it stays secure in its holster. Ill have to ask what brand he has. The first was simply a test to see how far it would spray. You cant speak of the pros without also talking about the cons in any situation. Smith & Wesson Model 629. Thats why. My Grizzly Ed? One of the more powerful handguns available today, the .454 is capable of pushing a 300-grain Buffalo Bore bullet at 1650 fps with 1,813 ft.-lbs. For general backpacking in grizzly country, MeatEater Founder Steven Rinella has carried both bear spray and a .44 Magnum revolver. cartridges like 7mm Rem, which are both versatile and dependable. The article was about pistols being used to defend against bears. Ultimately, it is important to choose a round that you are comfortable shooting and that provides the best chance of stopping an attacking bear. We made a simulated bear and shot it with a Desert Eagle! Here are some tips on how to do just that: Many people have this question, and the answer is not a simple one. 3. No big bears. Be be over armed -not under. Why the Alaskan was designed as a snubbie? SEEMED GOOD EDUCATION AS MADE IT HOME DUE TO FASTER DRAW AND ONLY 4 HOLES IN ME, MANY MORE IN TWO LEGGED BEARS WITH RED STAR BELT BUCKLES. Available in shorter versions like the Smith & Wesson 629 with 4-inch barrel, the .44 Mag. While some may consider it the minimum, it's plenty powerful enough to stop an onerous bear. It wasnt a challenge or snub to anyone, really. As with anything, the devil is in the details. 1. Wheres your manning-up and saying you were wrong, Hank? 44 Magnum ammo should do the trick though! Your cigarettes. What happened? Scotty, or Cisco or whatever his current intertube name is; I believe may be afflicted with the same disability as my unfortunate nephew. I have watched ballistic videos from a FBI training video in shot placement. I am not looking to go toe to toe with a Grizzly, but if I am out bow hunting or have set down my rifle to gut a deer it is far better to have a handgun that will effectively penetrate a large animal than to scramble for my rifle if I get charged. Always remember to check local regulations regarding firearms when traveling in bear country. Grizzly bears can operate much longer that humans due to the way their circulatory system/muscles work. Compared to pretty much every other mammal, humans are easy to put out of action. Are you melting snowflake? A 5" S&W 629 .44 Magnum revolver being fired with full power ammo at the point of maximum recoil. from the muzzle. Need to read Elmer Keiths accounts of animal attacks in Hell, I was there. You criticize Dean for his 30 cases, all of which are sourced, yet you flat out refuse to source your own claims. {vacant stare}, I have lived and hunted here in Alaska for 40+years, have been face to face with bears here on a few occasions, Black, Brown, Grizzly, And Polar, Every encounter was different, only once, (so far) have I had a have to shoot situation, My hunting partner (from lower 48) and I had boated up a wonderful wilderness river, and everywhere we stopped, was covered with bear tracks, (Grizzly) ( we were Moose hunting) We stopped and made a fire and had dinner, just after dinner (8PM) my partner says BEAR!! At this kind of range the accuracy of the longer barrel doesnt much matter nor does the penetration, which doesnt much matter anyway. I stood in a dumbfounded stupor. When youre out in the wild, its important to be prepared for anything. Any snowflakes at all? After all, I hadnt yet read any words from Hank, so I had no reason to do so at the time. Oddly enough, that same 158 grain LRN bullet is prone to through and through on people. Taylor Knock Out Factor. The 44 magnum is almost unspeakably more powerful than the 22 rimfire, so of course it will kill a bear. Ruger just took a Super Redhawk and cut the barrel even with the frame extension. American Buffalo Knife and Tool Co. is adding to its line of Roper Knives with the new Sunset Series Tumble Weed. A bear spray salesman. His raging confrontational writing style that relies upon fabricated facts, is so close to his that I wouldnt be surprised if it was revealed that he indeed is actually my nephew. Actually looking for 300 grain .411 hardcast. I suppose if one hit a bear in the eye with a .22 cal. I dont have any particular issue with what youve said so far, but you must understand that by refusing to give any actual citation of your sources you are undermining your own argument. Anybody at all? However, if you are reasonably accurate, a single strike on a vital area of a grizzly bear such as the head, shoulder, or internal vitals will generally produce a quick and humane kill. However, using a more powerful cartridge such as the .44 Magnum is recommended to ensure quick and humane kills. In some cases, it may not even penetrate the bear's thick hide. My hunting friend swears by his Ruger Red Hawk Alaskan. They have been documented stalking humans, attacking without provocation, eating humans they killed and more. Thoughtful, knowledgeable, unusual, and well-written. That phrase is Youre fucked because the chances you survive such a situation are slim to none. I could not figure out how it held the gun in place, so I grabbed the buckle and attempted to rip it off. Do you actually think that you impress anyone by imitating other men? Likely a happy accident for them due other evolutionary happenstances, but they are around because the weaker ones arent. The bears run in and out of the visual field of the video camera. Make sure to practice with your chosen firearm beforehand, and always check local regulations when traveling in bear country. Do not go into bear country without a firearm; preferably a 12-gauge shotgun w/ slugs and/or 00 buckshot, a lever-action .45-70, a .44 magnum revolver, a 10mm semiautomatic with full-power ammo, an AK-47, and an AR-10 are all decent options.

Walter Panzirer Hunting Lodge, Why Do Amanda And Gina Dislike Michelle, Articles C

can a 44 magnum kill a grizzly bear